This post is also available in: Français
On May 20, 2011, the Drouin Genealogical Institute completed its digital shift by launching Genealogy Quebec, providing online access to more than 100 years of historical data accumulated over the course of its existence.
When it launched, Genealogy Quebec offered ten collections totaling 34 million images and files.
The website has evolved quite a bit over the past 10 years!
But much more than just the design has changed. Indeed, millions of new documents and images have been added over the last decade. Here is an overview of what is available on Genealogy Quebec today.
The LAFRANCE is an index with link to the original document of births, marriages and deaths from Quebec, Ontario, Acadia and the United States. It contains:
- ALL of Quebec’s Catholic baptisms and burials from 1621 to 1861
- ALL of Quebec’s Catholic marriages from 1621 to 1918
- ALL of Quebec’s Protestant marriages from 1760 to 1849
- 1,450,000 Quebec Catholic marriages from 1919 to today
- 80,000 Quebec civil marriages from 1969 to today
- 140,000 Ontario marriages from 1850 to today
- 38,000 marriages from the United States
- 3,000 Quebec Protestant marriages from 1850 to 1941
- 17,000 miscellaneous Quebec marriages from 2018 and 2019
- 68,000 miscellaneous Quebec BMD records from the 20th and 21st century
You may browse the LAFRANCE with a subscription to Genealogy Quebec at this address.
Marriages and Deaths 1926-1997
This tool is an index of most of the marriages and deaths recorded in Quebec between 1926 and 1997, all religious denominations included. The original document is available for the marriages.
You may browse the Marriages and Deaths 1926-1997 tool with a subscription to Genealogy Quebec at this address.
This section contains all of the obituaries and headstones available on the website. It contains:
- 2.6 million Canadian obituaries published online between 1999 and today
- 1,250,000 obituaries published in Quebec and Ontario newspapers between 1945 and today
- 97,000 memorial cards published between 1860 and today
- 712,000 tombstones from Quebec and Ontario cemeteries
You may browse the Obituary section with a subscription to Genealogy Quebec at this address.
12 additional tools and collections
In addition to the collections mentioned above, Genealogy Quebec members have access to 12 additional tools containing various types of documents. These include notarial records, postcards, birth, marriage and death directories, city directories, censuses, family genealogies as well as archival funds containing historical documents and photos of all kinds.
You will find a list of all of the website’s tools at this address.
In total, Genealogy Quebec now offers more than 49 million images and documents allowing you to retrace the history of your ancestors in Quebec and the surrounding areas. Subscribe now to get access!
To all of our subscribers, whether you’ve been with us for a day or 10 years, thank you! It is through your support that we have been able to develop and grow our collections, and thus participate in the preservation of the historical heritage of Quebec and French Canadians.
The Drouin team