The City directories tool contains a digitized version of the phone directories of the cities of Montreal (Lovell) and Quebec (Marcotte). The directories have been digitized and indexed by year and category.
Within the directories, you will find the following categories:
- Introduction – Contains the cover page, a preface, as well as a table of contents
- Index to Streets, Avenues, Lanes – An index of the streets, avenues and lanes of the city
- Index to Miscellaneous – An index of miscellaneous institutions(shops, religious and governmental buildings, schools, etc.) by name
- Index to Page Advertisers – An index of the advertisers who paid for a full page advertisement
- List of Line Advertisers – An index of advertisers who paid for a small advertisement
- Advertisers Business Classified Directory – Advertisers indexed by type of of services offered
- Street Directory – An index of addresses, organized by streets
- Alphabetical Directory – An index of residents, organized by last name
- Places in the neighborhood of Montreal outside city limits – A shorter, less detailed version of the phone directory for neighborhoods of Montreal that weren’t inside city limits at the time
- Miscellaneous directory – An index of traders and professionals organized by the types of services they offer
The Lovell covers the metropolitan region of Montreal from 1843 to 2000. The Marcotte covers the city of Quebec and the surrounding areas from 1822 to 1904, but note that a few years are missing.
As of right now, the Lovell’s coverage ends in 1912. We plan on extending that period up to 2000 before the end of 2018.
You can browse the City directories tool with a subscription to GenealogyQuebec.com at this address.